1.10 AMN8 – 8th international conference on advanced materials and nanotechnology – Annual Report 2017
The biennial AMN conferences are becoming increasingly international, with 69 percent of the more than 500 delegates to AMN8 coming from overseas and including some of the best researchers in Materials Science.
The event was much more than a typical Materials Science conference:
- Manchester University Professor David Leigh spoke to 680 Christchurch students
- Oxford Professor Henry Snaith and Victoria University of Wellington Assoc ProfessorJustin Hodgkiss spoke to over 200 people about new solar technologies at the Royal Society in Wanaka
- Shotover Primary school kids had a science-through-soccer lesson from University of Washington Professor Albert Folch
- The Women in Science panel of Italian Institute of Technology Professor Silvia Giordani, Imperial College of London Professor Natalie Stingelin and University of Otago Senior Lecturer Dr Carla Meledandri attracted a lot of interest, both from media and from those who attended
- In Nelson, University of Auckland Professor Juliet Gerrard’s talks at the Suter Gallery and then, the next day, at a school, were received with great enthusiasm.